Hi Steve,

  About sending plain text password and files with telnet and ftp:

  uninstall your 'telnetd' and 'ftp server' and install 'ssh'
  ssh is real secure and has two usefull commands:
  'ssh' is a substitute for telnet
  and 'scp' is not the same thing, but substitutes ftp with some advantages

  read their manuals and compare.

    Bye
    Pedro