yeah, it's a mess.  i spent 2 days trying to get poptop working a few
months ago.  once i got everything patched and running and could setup a
vpn between pptp-linux and pptpd, i still couldn't get win98 to connect
to pptpd.  i gave up and decided next time i'd try to use ipsec with
freeswan.

good luck,
xn