On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 03:19, Stefano Salvi wrote:
> At 22.16 24/09/03 -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> >How 'bout this idea: We can create a user-definable policy as to whether
> >or not newly installed packages that provide init scripts actually have
> >these init scripts run during their postinst.  So, we have a file in
> >/etc/defaults or something that is sourced by postinst.  If a variable
> >(START_ON_INSTALL, or something) is set, then the service will be run if
> >this is a new install.  If it's an upgrade, then the service will be
> >restarted as usual.  If START_ON_INSTALL is not set, however, the
> >postinst will continue with its tasks but exit without actually starting
> >the service.  In the default installation, START_ON_INSTALL would be
> >unset, and services wouldn't get started.
> I think thisi is not wise:
> - Why I must have services installed that I cannot use (are not started by
> default)?
> - Why I must have services installed that I don't need?
> - If I have a security choice as you suggest, I have a great probability to
> set high security and next not be able to have services running (how about
> selecting which services I want to be run by default?)
>
> I think the best choice is to leave in the default installation (where I
> select nothing in Tasksel and don't run dselect) the very minimum services
> needed, leaving to the user (tasksel is made for this) the choice to add
> the requested services.
>
> A nice suggestion to package maintainers is to add in the postscript a
> question on running the service bu default (as an example, I seldom use the
> netatalk service to share files with a MAC - normally I disable it as it
> slows down the statrup a lot and I start it by hans when needed; on every
> upgrade it gets started by default again....)
>
> Ciao
>          Stefano Salvi

What about the article on ibm developers group? The one that talks about
parallel loading of services that don't have dependencies? I read it and
I buy it :) I don't try it yet! but im going to... and i like the idea
of such...
On the other side, and keeping with the conversation, i like the
approach on the default install of Debian.