> I don't understand, there is no warning of abi or architecture deprecation
> in the release notes of gcc, neither 4.7 nor 4.8.
> Maybe they have information I don't, but I doubt it. I'll dig in the gcc
> mailing list to see if I can find something related.
>
> Sébastien

Doh, beat me to it by a minute. Yeah, you see what I mean. :)

It would be platform suicide to drop 32-bit code generation. Like many RISC
architectures, switching to 64-bit is only done for apps that need it,
because it is not free and will not, in general, make apps faster. Anyone
who has worked on PPC, MIPS, SPARC, etc will be able to confirm this in a
heartbeat, and no doubt gcc-sparc maintainers are aware of this as well.

Patrick