On 06/10/16 11:26, Hermann Lauer wrote:
Hello Chris,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 11:00:25AM +0000, Chris wrote:
I know Debian 7 is unsupported on Sparc and that bugs won't be fixed,
but I don't care. Once the OS is installed and stable, I really don't
need or expect support or patches. Apart from adding a few packages,
nothing is likely to change. All i'm looking for is a stable
OS to run on Sparc h/w, with a gui. I would be quite happy with Sol
10, but Oracle support licenses are too expensive.
Old it may be, but even Squeeze is pretty stable. Just wanted to try
out a later version and afaics, 7.10 was the last supported stable
release.

if netbooting is an option for you, installation report
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=757787 may help you.

Probably the mentioned netbooting stuff is already moved to an debian
archive after the official end of wheezy support now.

Good luck,
   greetings
     Hermann

Herman,

Thanks for the info. Have never used netboot, so will give that a
try, We all get stuck in loops from time to time and I need to test
7.10 and gauge what state it's in to be able to move on.

One of purposes of the exercise is to survey available operating
systems for Sparc. It seems that many Linux distros have ended support
while other OS, for example, FreeBSD is still being developed, but it's
a tier 2 architecture and not as complete out of the box as 386 / amd64
versions. No problem for the experienced user, but steep learning curve
for the less experienced and it's difficult to find the info to solve problems. More installs are needed to gain the critical mass to
spawn more developers, but unless there are stable versions, how is
that to be encouraged ?,

Anyway, thanks for the help and hope Debian thrives. Don't have the
knowledge base to contribute code at present, but will try to keep up
to date with the list and may be able to contribute something from
time to time...

Regards,

Chris