I kinda figured that.  I was trying to be clear in case someone else was
following along.  My question still is, is it necessary to run
"update-initramfs -c -k 4.8.11" if "make install" performs that
function? Does make install do the same thing as the update-initramfs
command or do they do something different.

Either way running "make install" and pointing
image=/boot/vmlinuz-4.8.11 works.  It now boots and uname-r returns 4.8.11.

Now to see if it has eliminated the segfault I got when trying to access
webmin (don't know if it's localized to webmin but it's what I was
working on when this came up.

Thanks for the help.

Rod