On 02/19/2018 08:44 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 02/18/2018 10:40 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
, it's just that
the tool you are using is apparently producing unaligned accesses.

What you emphasized is from the AlphaServer DS25, do you assume that unaligned
accesses lead to bus errors on sparc64?

To be honest, you wrote so much text that I didn't notice you were
talking about an Alpha machine here.

Yeak, sorry, but according to what I read so far you still were on the right track with the unaligned accesses. There seem to be a few options to react on those, e.g. just print an info message, info message plus fix in software (which is slow) or send a SIGBUS to the causing process.

Why the behavior differs between different architectures is the question. I wouldn't mind a slowdown during operation of `ipconfig`, as it only happens on startup, but it might be substantial if applied to all compiled stuff for sparc64. On the other hand it looks like it's done exactly like that on alpha, if you consider the "mass" of unaligned trap messages there.

Cheers,
Frank