Hello!

On 6/15/20 1:42 AM, CoNNoR McL wrote:
> Initially i had a little installation trouble since apparently grub relies on
> the /boot
> partition to exist, together with a warning that my standard 40GB drive for
> the machine
> exceeds 65536 cylinders.

It's not GRUB that needs the /boot partition, it's the old hardware which
doesn't support
the modern GPT partition tables and hence not relying on block lists (which are
unreliable).

> Once that was sorted, i had trouble getting a clear picture on my monitor
> because the
> framerate was to high. So i lowered the framerate from 75hz to 60hz by
> creating config
> files for X11 with the correct modeline.
>
> So far the desktop is running, albeit a bit slow and opengl is not working at
> all.

It's actually not something taken for granted that X11 works on that machine.

> I think i should have the PGX64 chipset in this machine, but i am not sure if
> it uses the correct driver.
> glxinfo tells me everything is fine with direct rendering using llvm.
>
> When i try to run glxgears, i get a bus error.

Please provide a backtrace using GDB.

> When i try to run extremetuxracer, i don't get into the game, the errors
> point to
> unhandled calls in some asound library.

Information is too unspecific to be able to help. I need a backtrace/error
message.

> Also i can't run any web browser. Midori and Epiphany crash or don't open a
> website

Again, too unspecific.

> and the current Firefox or Firefox-esr are not installable due to missing
> dependencies.

See: https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2017/12/msg00060.html

Also, if someone wants to help me making Firefox more portable again by
addressing the
NodeJS dependency, that would be great. I already have a rough concept for that.

> Is any of this current normal behavior or is my configuration incorrect at
> some point
> and some of these thing are supposed to work, albeit slow on these old
> machines?

The information you provided is too unspecific (except for the Firefox
problem), so it's
not really possible to answer your question.

> Finally before i install Solaris 8 on a second drive: is it possible to
> create a dual boot
> installation with debian and Solaris on one drive? If it is, how would i
> achieve this with
> grub?
No idea, I never tried that. I recommend asking on the GRUB mailing list.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaub...@debian.org