I ran into exactly the same issue on my Sun Ultra 60 with partman
getting stuck at 33% when starting (before even accessing the partioning
I found that the issue was related to the RAID detection, although I had
no RAID and the only disk installed has been zeroed with dd.
Here is what I did :
- boot the installer in expert mode, where every step will be accessible
in the installer menu,
- after the stage "load installation components" and before "disk
- I opened a shell where I moved into /tmp the kernel module md.so and
the command mdadm (localized with find),
- check that no process mdadm was running and no module md/mdraid was
- close the shell,
- carry on with the partitionning,
- there partman gets grumpy with a big red screen saying it cannot use
the raid software, but not angry as it carries on straight to the disk
Hope it helps.
I tried to find an option to tell the installer not to use RAID with no
success (mdadm=false nor mdraid=false did not work).
If somebody knows a better/simpler way ...