Le dimanche 24 décembre 2006 20:33, Hal Vaughan a écrit :
> On Saturday 23 December 2006 19:43, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Also, I have found the sarge to etch upgrade to be brutal.  The
> > systems I have tried to upgrade recently are all in shambles.  The
> > particular problem I've encountered seems to be the Xfree86 -> xorg 7
> > transition.
>
> Fortunately, I didn't have any boxen running Potato that I had to
> upgrade.  Going from Sarge to Etch will be my first upgrade from one
> stable to the next.  I remember reading about how it was a major pain
> to upgrade some packages from Potato to Sarge.
>
> I have some servers running Sarge that don't have X at all.  Are there
> other packages that would make updating them to Etch difficult once
> Etch goes stable?
>
> Hal

I've just tried in a VMware virtual machine, from a pure simple sarge (mail
server oriented) to etch.
I thought I never could finish, I wanted aptitude to be upgraded at first, and
it fails, but it upgrade the libc. Then, aptitude and apt-get could not use
this new libc.
I think that the first problem came from initramfs-tools that is needed for
the new kernel.
As I didn't want that to append, I insist to upgrade aptitude, perhaps with
apt-get too... I reach a point where I had no kernel anymore !

Fortunately, some packages had been downloaded in /var/cache/apt/archive, and
dpkg worked.
I managed to upgrade aptitude, after installing apt from there.

And then aptitude dist-upgrade could have finished.

To sum up, I think there is a problem with kernel upgrade, with
initrd-tools/initramfs-tools and hotplug/udev which are not compatible
between kernels.

Répondre à