> I need the ability to run my dialing script as root since the script
> makes hostname, domainname, and /etc/resolv changes.
>
> It appears that Debian Linux does not have setuid capability.  Is this a
> feature that I can turn on through a configuration file?

No.  There is no way to turn on the ability to have setuid scripts.

There are severe potential security problems associated with setuid
scripts.  As such, the capability is explicitly -not- allowed in the
Linux kernel.

Setuid program, however, are a very useful tool.  Su, for instance,
-must- be setuid root to do its job.  It isn't a script, however.

There are several ways to do the same job.  One of the most common is
to write a small setuid C program that calls the script for you.

> Do all Linux distributions (Slackware, Redhat, etc) have this
> restriction?  Which distributions allow suid?

No linux distribution allows it.  It is inherent in the kernel.

> Where does the restriction take place (the kernel or an executable
> file)?

The kernel.

--
     Buddha Buck                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our