On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> No-one on this list uses Debian as a news server?  Nobody's running SMP?
> There's no interest whatsoever in tech support for Debian?  (I know
> Bruce posted something about it a while ago ...)
>
> I'm disappointed.  If the folks who are "in the know" have all
> unsubscribed from this list and hang exclusively on debian-devel, then I
> think there's a problem.

Judging from the traffic on this list, they seem to be as helpful as ever.
But...

My way of getting this sort of information is to watch the list for topics
I might be interested in in the future and file them in folders. For example,
I built quite an IP/PPP resource before I needed to get PPP going myself.
Ditto ssh and samba. Now I'm watching people's queries on hamm ready for the
changeover.

> What I'm looking for is this:  If you're running SMP, does it work well?
> Problems?  Hints?  Same with news ... does a specific version of INN do
> the trick?  Any special kernel configs?  You get the idea.

The specific stuff should be in HOWTOs. But most people don't have a
general off-pat report ready for a quick response to an open query like this.
Human nature says Leave it to someone else/Somebody's probably already
sent an email.

> Oh, and before I forget ... I heard there is a company providing phone
> support for Debian Linux.  If this is true, who is it?  What are the
> rates?  I work for a corporation that is becoming comfortable with the
> idea of Linux, but wants tech support available.  I'd rather run Debian
> than RedHat/Caldera, so please help!

Apart from Bruce's posting which you mentioned, I can't help you here.
Universities aren't the sort of institutions who want to pay for support
of linux.

Cheers,

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151