On 3 Aug 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>  Mark> I need to compile the 2.0.31 kernel.  Unfortunately there is
>  Mark> not a debian package for the 2.0.31 kernel, so I downloaded the
>  Mark> upstream version, unpacked it into /usr/local/src, created
>  Mark> links
>
>       What links did you create? Please uncreate those links and try
>  again, I fear that may be part of the problem.

The links I created were:

cd /usr/include

mv asm asm.old
mv linux linux.old
mv scsi scsi.old
ln -s /usr/local/src/linux-2.0.31/include/asm-i386 asm
ln -s /usr/local/src/linux-2.0.31/include/linux linux
ln -s /usr/local/src/linux-2.0.31/include/scsi scsi

as well as

cd /usr/src

ln -s /usr/local/src/linux-2.0.31 linux

I have also tried using make-kpkg without using the first three links
above (ie using the existing directories) and in both cases I get the same
compile errors.

I have tried unmaking and making these links again and following again
your instructions in /usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz but I still get the
same problems.

>  Mark> and followed the instructions for make-kpkg in order to
>  Mark> make a kernel image package.  Unfortunately it didn't compile,
>  Mark> coming up with compile errors such as
>
>  Mark> /usr/include/sys/types.h:45: conflicting types for `mode_t'
>  Mark> /usr/local/src/linux-2.0.31/include/linux/types.h:12: previous
> declaration
>  Mark> of `mode_t'
>
>       Something is seriously wrong here. The kernel is supposed to
>  be a self contained syste; it shpuld not be linking with any header
>  files outside of the kernel source tree.

I agree it seems seriously wrong.  It seems to be linking with header
files provided by libc6-dev (that's where /usr/include/sys/types.h comes
from).

I am at a loss to know what to try next.

I imagine gcc would only look in a place like /usr/include/sys/types.h if
it believed the types.h file could not be found in the kernel source tree.
(I am guessing that libc6-dev sets up /usr/include/sys as a default
location to look for things??)  But I notice there are many "types.h"
files in the kernel source tree, so what's going on?

Mark.

____\__/_____\__/--\__/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/