> How can I prevent udev from saving the MAC address of eth0 into the
> persistent net rules file? I am using Debian Etch.

I added a file /etc/udev/rules/a10-monnier.rules which contains various
rules that I like (e.g. rename the firewire network interface to eth-fw0,
rename the wifi interface to wlan0, rename drive partition /dev/usbdisk if
they come from USB).  On my "Debian Live on a USB stick" I then added the
following rule to prevent saving persistent names for the network interfaces
(since I use this USB key on many machines, I don't want the only ethernet
interface to get name eth34):

    SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", NAME="%k"

-- Stefan