On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 14:25:38 +0200 (IST)
Itay <deb...@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Nov 2013, Reco wrote:
>
> Not yet, but we have some progress...
>
> Trial 1:
>
> # /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
> error: error creating output file /var/log/syslog.1.gz: File exists
>
> Trial 2:
> # rm /var/log/syslog.1.gz
> # /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
> gzip: stdin: Input/output error
> error: failed to compress log /var/log/syslog.1
>
> Should I backup syslog, delete it, and watch how things evolve?

Now that's interesting. Is there anything similar to this messages
in /var/log/cron.log?
Does, say, 'md5sum /var/log/syslog' runs to the completion?
What about 'cat /var/log/syslog > /dev/null'?
Can you run fsck on the filesystem containing /var/log/syslog?
What does smartctl --all shows on the partition with this filesystem?

Reco