Hi,

> which basically left me with the original command and, surprise, it
> worked!

That's quite surprising. There is no corresponding bug fix
to see in my ChangeLog. (... and i cannot remember either ...)

Although xorriso-1.2.2 is outdated, it would still be good to
know how i accidently fixed the problem. Maybe it is only
covered up but not gone.

Do you still have the bad image that does not boot ?
If so, can i have it for inspection ?
And the working image too ?

Filing a Debian bug might best be done after we know what's
going on. Especially it will be interesting to know whether
xorriso-1.3.2 as of Debian "testing" is ok.

I would try to reproduce your production steps with xorriso-1.2.2
if i knew from what ISO image you started (URL please) and what
manipulations you did before you packed it up by xorriso.

I doubt that the missing option -V in your first command
can cause a zero-reaction by the BIOS. It should only later
be of importance, if ever.

It seems not to happen trivially:

I mounted debian-7.3.0-i386-netinst.iso and repacked it
by quite the xorriso command which you mentioned in your first
post of this thread:

  mount -o loop debian-7.3.0-i386-netinst.iso /mnt

  xorriso-1.2.2 \
     -as mkisofs -D -r -J -joliet-long -L -A "Custom Install CD" \
     -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -iso-level 3 \
     -no-emul-boot -partition_offset 16 -boot-load-size 4 \
     -boot-info-table -o test.iso \
     -isohybrid-mbr debian-7.3.0-i386-netinst.iso \
     /mnt

(I took the -isohybrid-mbr template from the original ISO image.
 So it is ensured that its version matches the SYSLINUX programs
 inside the ISO image.)

Onto USB stick:

   dd if=test.iso bs=2048 of=/dev/sdb

On my test machine (a 64 bit AMD with BIOS) it does boot to
the Debian installer menue.

Just a consequence of the long freeze windows before Debian release.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas