On 9/11/2016 11:46 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2016-09-11, Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

"apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core" does not install
marco, xorg, xterm, nor lightdm. My brute force diagnostic
procedure was to install each of them in the order listed with a
reboot in between to see if everything worked. It did not. After
installing each of the 1st three I was left at the command line.
After installing lightdm I was presented with a blank screen.

Well installing xorg without a display manager (lightdm in your case)
would take you to the console, from where you'd have to issue a "startx"
to get into the graphical environment I do believe. Rebooting each time
seems like a waste of time, unless you can explain what magical spell
that is supposed to cast upon the whole affair.

Only as a reproducible test to see if I had installed all the right pieces ;)

After installing lightdm you get a blank screen, so you're making
progress (perhaps a graphic card/driver issue lurking in there
somewhere).

I was reporting sucess as you were writing.
Futher experiments await purchasing DVD's of the upcoming point release.

As I have minimal bandwidth available I am installing from
purchased DVD's - currently version 8.0.0 . After the point
release later this month I will obtain the latest.

Has anyone successfully done such a minimal install as I am
attempting?
TIA