On Wed 14 Sep 2016 at 02:44:14 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Alan McConnell composed on 2016-09-13 20:50 (UTC-0400):
> >But maybe someone
> >can tell me why the installer can't look at the partitions and determine
> >that there
> >is some kind of OS already installed?  Why does it have to know about
> >Windows 10 to
> >behave sensibly?  "Curious minds . . . "
>
> As explained by Brian on 2016-09-13 15:40 (UTC+0100), first came Jessie,
> then came Windows 10, and an apparent solution has since been provided for
> those who choose to install a Debian version younger than Windows 10.

I might have come to an invalid conclusion from reading the changelog
snippet quoted earlier and then went to lay far too much emphasis on
Jessie d-i preceding Windows 10. What is fixed is not whether an entry
for Windows 10 is displayed but the wording of the entry in the GRUB
menu.

Apologies for anything misleading.

> It does seem curious that the Debian installer would need knowledge of a
> particular Windows version in order to provide a boot menu selection for it,
> rather than simply having one that says "Windows", booting from whatever
> non-native/NTFS filesystem it happens to find containing anything resembling
> boot sector code.

Yes it does appear curious, especially as the implication in the
changelog (and a few reports I've seen elsewhere) is that a Windows 10
install can be discovered by os-prober but provides "Windows Recovery
Partition" as GRUB's menu entry.

> Should you be game to try installing Jessie again, you might try a network
> installation started via a Stretch installer. Possibly (I haven't tried, and
> not only do I have no interest in kicking either of my sleeping dog Windows
> 10s, I'm exclusively responsible for primary bootloader maintenance on all
> my computers, and rarely allow os-prober to run.) the os-prober shortcoming
> that troubled you might be avoided in such manner.

os-prober from stretch/unstable should install on Jessie with 'dpkg -i'
but I am much less confident it would fix a missing entry, even though
it should do no harm to try.

Another possibilty is

  https://wiki.debian.org/DualBoot/Windows10