On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 at 16:09, Michael Fothergill <
michael.fotherg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear Folks,
>
> There used to be a xaralx package for debian but it has been discontinued.
>
> I tried installing the tar file from the xara extreme web site but got an
> error about libpangoxft-1.0 not being present etc.
>
> I tried installing libpango dev but synaptic said some packages were
> missing and it failed.
>
> But maybe it wouldn't have helped any way......
>
> I want to produce some 3D text images for a document.
>
> Comments appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Fothergill
>

> My suggestion would be install apt-file, either using aptitude or apt-get
or synaptic if you prefer.

Then as root:
apt-file update

Once that is done, you can do apt-file search libpangoxft and see what
package, if any, in Debian contains it. Then install that package. Or
create a dummy package that depends on it and install that, so the library
will get removed again if you don't need it later and not clutter your
system up.

If the package you need turns out to be the one you already tried, we will
need to know the exact errors you are getting to help further.

Mark