On Wed 21 Sep 2016 at 15:07:09 (-0400), Anthony Baldwin wrote:
> On 09/21/2016 11:05 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 10:49:13AM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> >>it seems that I am using lightdm.
> >
> >I know of absolutely no documentation for configuring lightdm as a
> >user.  I suspect that the software *has* no user configuration at all,
> >because every search I've ever done has come up with nothing.
> >
> >(For example, https://wiki.debian.org/LightDM has zero instances of
> >"home" or "~" or "dot".)

I'm not a DE or DM user, so I'm know very little about them. But I
don't understand the concept of "user configuration" for a DM.
Wouldn't that be like a user configuring /etc/issue, the login prompt
or /etc/motd ?

> Oddly this page states, with it's bare face hanging out:
> [lightdm] was built as a relatively light-weight and *highly
> customizable* alternative to GDM.

Is this what is being described at
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/LightDM/CommonConfiguration/
?
Is that the sort of configuration you would expect, or would you
want something different? Are you perhaps talking about which file,
like .xsession, .xsessionrc, .Xsession, .xinitrc, etc gets executed
when you login through the DM?

Cheers,
David.