On 9/22/2016 8:25 AM, Tony Baldwin wrote:
On 09/22/2016 10:15 AM, Tixy wrote:
On Thu, 2016-09-22 at 09:11 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 09:19:11PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
But I don't understand the concept of "user configuration" for a DM.
Wouldn't that be like a user configuring /etc/issue, the login
prompt
or /etc/motd ?

By user configuration, I mean "which files can the user edit, without
superuser privileges, to alter the behavior of the program".

Are you perhaps talking about which file,
like .xsession, .xsessionrc, .Xsession, .xinitrc, etc gets executed
when you login through the DM?

Yes, precisely this question.  What can an end user, who uses one of
the various display managers and desktop environments in Debian, do
to configure their own environment?

I edit ~/.xsessionrc to have a single line:

        . /home/tixy/.profile

Which makes X sessions include the same profile as standard login
shells.

And my .profile has (or I added?)

        # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
        if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
            PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
        fi

Thank you, Tixy,

This worked perfectly.
I created the .xsessionrc file (didn't previously have one),
and found that my .proile already had the needed part in it (possibly
because I'd already added the same to my .bashrc  ?)
Logged out and back in, and now my keybinding are working to fire off my
scripts. such as this one, which I fire off qwith the print screen key:

A little late, but personally I would have tried using '~/.xprofile'
first.

I believe the information about this from the Arch Wiki applies equally
to Debian.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xprofile

Later, Seeker