On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 05:09:20PM +0200, Martin T wrote:
> I would like to run a cron job which periodically checks if I have
> upgradable packages. One way to do it is probably like this:
>
> $ apt-get upgrade -s | grep -q "^0 upgraded"

But you have to run apt-get update first, AS root.  (Your subject line
includes the phrase "as a non-root user", but you neglected to include
this important piece of information in the body of the email.  I say
this now, because someone might change the subject header later.)

A script that only tells you whether you neglected to do an upgrade
after your last update isn't all that useful, at least to me.  I very
rarely forget to follow up the update with an upgrade.