On Mon, 20 Mar 2017, Marc Shapiro wrote:

On 03/20/2017 03:16 PM, songbird wrote:
Marc Shapiro wrote:
I recently upgraded my Firefox to v52 and immediately lost all sound in
Firefox.  Apparently Firefox now requires PulseAudio, which I had
previously uninstalled due to issues which I no longer remember.  I
tried installing PulseAudio, but still no sound in Firefox.  Also, no
sound anywhere else.  I uninstalled PulseAudio and sound came back
(except for Firefox).  I reverted Firefox to v51.0.1 and I have sound
everywhere.

I would like to reinstall PulseAudio so that I can upgrade Firefox, but
I can't get it to work.  Can anyone help me get sound working with
PulseAudio?
   make sure you have everything installed that you need.

   i had to go find a missing chunk and add it when
this happened to me:

(you may not need the development stuff, but ...)

$ dpkg -l | grep pulse

ii gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:i386 1.10.4-1 i386 GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio ii libpulse-dev:i386 10.0-1 i386 PulseAudio client development headers and libraries ii libpulse-mainloop-glib0:i386 10.0-1 i386 PulseAudio client libraries (glib support) ii libpulse0:i386 10.0-1 i386 PulseAudio client libraries ii libpulsedsp:i386 10.0-1 i386 PulseAudio OSS pre-load library ii pulseaudio 10.0-1 i386 PulseAudio sound server ii pulseaudio-utils 10.0-1 i386 Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server

=================

   hth,

   songbird

It's working, now. Not sure what the problem was, but after purging and reinstalling PulseAudio I now have sound that works in the latest Firefox. I still think that it would be better if this hard requirement did not exist, but at least it is working now. I just hope that whatever the problem was (years back) that caused me to purge PulseAudio in the first place has been fixed and does not come back to bite me.

I think that I'll keep my copy of Firefox v51.0.1 around for a while, until I am sure that I don't need to revert to it.

Marc

  I have exactly the same problem, but for me installing the listed packages
  didn't solve it. I must then continue with v51.
  the sound works everywhere, but in firefox versions > v51.
  Any idea ?
  I can't understand why firefox is the only browser with this issue.

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel