Hello!

Since the upgrade from Jessie to Stretch, I have noticed occasional
misbehaviour in my amanda setup. I didn't change anything in my hardware
or software configuration that might have caused it. (Famous Last
Words...)

The most recent occurrence was last night, and it was typical of what
happens when it goes wrong:

--------------------------

These dumps were to tape RealBackup08.
Not using all tapes because taperflush criteria not met.
There are 210G of dumps left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.

The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to use are: RealBackup09, RealBackup10.

FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
  localhost /opt lev 0  partial taper: taperflush criteria not met

----------------------

Running amflush RealBackup as the backup user works fine to flush the
dump. My question is why didn't the flush work during the main overnight
backup run?

The system is otherwise idle during the backup run. I have it set to run
at 1:30am and I was in bed last night by about 00:20. I had shut down
both VirtualBox VMs on my system, and the backup script shuts down a
bunch of services like mysql (actually mariadb nowadays) and svnserve on
the machine before commencing the backup, so as to get as good quality
as possible a backup. So the machine shouldn't have been doing anything
else at the time except servicing the backup.

My amanda "tape" is a set of 10 vtapes on a 3TB hard disk mounted in an
external USB drive cage. The holding disk is the second 3TB disk in the
cage. Both disks are mounted by me after booting and left mounted until
the next reboot. This issue I am seeing happens only a small percentage
of backup runs. I backup every weeknight. This configuration worked
without ever reporting problems in Jessie.

What does "taperflush criteria not met" mean?

Mark