While trying to netinst Debian 8.9 into an LVM physical volume I keep running into "installer can not find root" or words to that effect. This is a dead end in the installer AFAICT.

I have tried GPT but this HP UEFI does not play nicely with it. So, reverting to Disklabel type: dos, and using fdisk, I re-partitioned.

fdisk -l reports this snippet (paraphrased):

/dev/sda1      1M 83 Linux
/dev/sda2      8G 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda4  923.5G  5 Extended
/dev/sda5     64G 8e Linux LVM
/dev/sda6     64G 8e Linux LVM
/dev/sda7     64G 8e Linux LVM
/dev/sda8     64G 8e Linux LVM
/dev/sda9  667.5G 83 Linux

The aim here is to have a multiboot system with Debian 8, Debian 9, and so forth.

Using LVM, one physical volume is defined on the entire sda5 partition. A volume group named "debian8-vg" is defined as the only vg in that pv. Five logical volumes have been defined in the vg. One lv intended as root was defined like this with a Debian Live CD:

user@debian:/$ sudo lvm lvcreate -n root --size 8G debian8-vg  #define lv named root
user@debian:/$ sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/debian-vg/root  #make a file system in lv root
user@debian:/$ sudo mount /dev/debian-vg/root  #the "/root" was dropped apparently

I was able to cd as follows:
user@debian:/$ cd /dev/debian8-vg

and to see the logical volumes:
user@debian:/dev/debian8-vg$ ls
home root swap_1 tmp var

There they are. All the logical volumes. Am I getting close? How can I "mkdir /" on root and succeed with netinst? BTW I did choose Manual partitioning in the installer. :-(

 - Dan