On 02/17/2018 07:42 AM, John Hasler wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
I have no problem with different applications being open in each workspace.

What I would like would be to be able to do is have differing sets of
applications available in each workspace.

This can be done with FVWM.

A sketchy preliminary web search doses not look promising.
I'll initially experiment with KDE.
Is there a recommended site that gives a good description of why and how one would use it {similar to what <https://www.datamation.com/open-source/how-to-setup-kde-activities.html> does for KDE}?

I start it up four desks (similar, I think,
to MATE's workspaces) each with 16 panes (you can have as many or as few
as you want on each desktop).  Each desk can start a different set of
applications.  I don't use it the way you want to (for one thing I
despise icons) but there is no reason it could not do exactly what you
want.  Windows can be made "sticky" so that they "stick to the glass"
and follow you around.  Thus you could have a set of icons that are
always visible and other sets that only show up on one desktop.

Of course, this does mean you have to learn to configure FVWM.