On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 08:48:10PM +0000, Brian wrote:

> .invalid should fit the bill. You don't get much help on this from the
> installer in expert mode though. My point was - how do you know what is
> non-existent? knickersoff.com was a revelation to me!

It is all documented:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-level_domain#Reserved_domains

Essentially, you cannot guarantee that any arbirtary second-level or
lower domain will remain unused. However, there are reserved top-level
domains guaranteed to not be used in any standards-compliant
implementation and you can also be somewhat certain that new top-level
domains will not be introduced willy-nilly. So, if you wanted to use
.abc123 as a top-level domain on your own network, you are probably
safe.

Regards,

-Roberto

--