On Wed, 7 Mar 2018, at 21:29, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Fantastic...  On the back of the device I read `PLAYBACK OUTPUTS'.  I wish to
> better understand those entries: two white, two red and four black.  Please
> what's the difference between them, and how do they work?

There's 4 phono (RCA) sockets - the white and red ones, giving you
conventional RCA/phono connections eg to an amplifier.  Those
will be 'unbalanced' connections ie each has a signal and a screen.

Each of the four outputs is also provided on a 1/4-inch jack socket (the
four black holes you can see).  It's just a different type of connector
providing the same output signal, possibly 'balanced' on a TRS (tip,
ring, sleeve) jack...

The specifications listed at
http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/UMC404HD/p/P0BK1
do not make it clear whether the four output 1/4" jacks are TRS or not, though
it does
say that the 'main outputs' (presumaby a stereo monitor mix) are available on
balanced
TRS jacks as well as balanced XLRs.

Ah... the "Quick Start Guide" available on:
http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/UMC404HD/p/P0BK1/downloads
has a more detailed list of what each socket is - those 4 'black holes' ARE
'TLS' jacks, ie balanced -
that is there's three connections for each channel - the +ve half of a
waveform, the -ve half, & the
screen.  So if you were connecting the four channel outputs to domestic
audio/hifi equipment you'd
use the RCA phono jacks (the white and red ones) and if you were connecting it
to studio equipment
that could handle/expected balanced connections you'd use the TLS jacks (black
sockets).

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.