On Wed 07 Mar 2018 at 21:35:02 -0500, Gary Dale wrote:

> I have a Samsung C410 printer attached to a Stretch server via USB and also
> available via wifi. There doesn't seem to be a default print setting for
> paper size but the cups listing for the printer shows:
>
>    Defaults:job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided
>
> which is correct.

na_letter_8.5x11in is the default size taken from the PPD for the queue
when it was set up. Presumably it is "correct" because it suited you. The
default media size can be changed; via the CUPS web interface is one way.
The new size would also be "correct".

The default size can be overridden by CUPS in a number of ways, usually
with the help of lpoptions. This new size is also "correct".

>                   However when I try to print a PDF using Okular, the paper
> size is set to A4. If I forget to change it to letter, the print gets
> chopped off at the top.

Okular uses the default size setting in the PPD if nothing else overrides
it. If it is offering A4, it is being informed of the "correct" size by
something.

Please post the output of 'lpoptions -p <C410_queue_name>.

> Any ideas on what is causing this and how do I correct it?

Do you have an lpoptions file in /etc/cups or $HOME/.cups?

--
Brian.