On 05/14/2018 02:56 AM, Joe wrote:
On Sun, 13 May 2018 14:43:55 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

Is "sudo" and cousins an appropriate tool?

I would have said so. In order to make changes to a computer, both
GParted and Synaptic (and aptitude, apt-get etc.) *require* root
privileges. There's no way around that.

I have no problem with that.

The point about users running
without root privileges is explicitly to make them unable to make the
kind of changes to a computer that GParted and Synaptic do.

That's what I want for *ALL BUT ONE* of my systems.

Both GParted and Synaptic are inherently graphical programs, requiring
the use of X, therefore their use in anger requires a mixture of root
and X. Anyone who doesn't like that idea is completely free to use
parted and aptitude.

If your micro-installation contains them, gksu and gksudo are graphical
equivalents of su and sudo. I start Synaptic from a menu entry, which
uses gksudo. It requires my password, because like the vast majority of
computers, all mine are usually connected to a network with Internet
access. If you want to use your computers in a different way from
almost everybody else, you must expect to do a certain amount of your
own trailblazing.

Only 1 of the four machines within arm's reach are physically capable of connecting to the internet. Is there a way to block internet access for members of one group - similar to how "dialout" might have been used when connectivity was a 56k modem?