On Wed, 13 Jun 2018, Irek Szcześniak wrote:
> Thanks for pointing out pbuilder, I think I'll give it a try.  I also might
> want to try virtual containers, but it seems like an overkill.

You might also try out schroot.

Something like:

apt-get install schroot ubuntu-dev-tools;
mk-sbuild unstable;
schroot unstable;

will get you in an unstable chroot which you can use to build packages.
[schroot+sbuild is what Debian developers often use instead of pbuilder,
but either approach works.]

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

The smallest quantity of bread that can be sliced and toasted has yet
to be experimentally determined. In the quantum limit we must
necessarily encounter fundamental toast particles which the author
will unflinchingly designate here as "croutons".
 -- Cser, Jim. Nanotechnology and the Physical Limits of Toastability.
    AIR 1:3, June, 1995.