Hi,

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 10:37:51PM -0500, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
> just for the record, the programmer did fine -- he modified the
> program and got it working on his Ubuntu system, and created a
> binary for me.  The problem now is to get the binary to work on my
> Wheezy or Jessie system.

It's not really reasonable to expect a binary built on a completely
different Linux distribution to run unchanged on your own machines.
I mean, it can be achieved, with some care, but is not the normal
way to do this.

You would be better off having your build and production
environments being the same. Ideally that could be achieved by both
your developer and you building/running the binary from a chroot of
the same thing, e.g. whatever version of Ubuntu the developer is
using. If the developer can't build this in a chroot then you could
just run it in a chroot that matches what the developer is building
it in.

If your developer hopes to be building software for use by multiple
people on Debian and Ubuntu, they would be well advised to look into
how to build proper Debian packages, using pbuilder or cowbuilder or
whatever, so they can distribute deb files for stable, oldstable
etc. without any of these concerns.

Or, your developer should deliver only portable source to you, and
you compile that yourself.

Cheers,
Andy