Hi,

it was one one my first posts to this list when i asked if Debian software
was to blame for automatically pulling in a DVD burner's tray after 200 seconds.
Model is: HL-DT-ST (LG) GH24NSC0.

Back then i even asked the LG customer support whether this was a known
feature, which they denied. So i blamed it on an individual quirk of the drive.
This was corroborated by the fact that the drive showed this behavior while
EFI was waiting for my input about what to boot.

But now i got a new burner, ASUS DRW-24D5MT, which shows the same behavior.
Because it is built into a test machine, i dug out a screwdriver and unplugged
the SATA data cable. So neither firmware nor operating system can order it to
move its tray. Nevertheless, after about 200 seconds, the tray moves in.

So my question to all owners of optical drives which have a motor to pull in
the tray:
Does the tray stay out for clearly more than 200 seconds ?

If you have a drive which pulls in on its own, please post its producer and
model id. (Obtain by burn program, or lshw, or by its name in /dev/disk/by-id.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas