On Jo, 28 mai 20, 12:31:33, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >
> > In Debian, there is no such separation.  There are only "packages", and
> > these packages can be essential (what you'd consider part of the base
> > system), or frivolous, or anywhere in between.  The packaging system
> > doesn't *know* which packages you would consider to be keep-worthy and
> > which ones you would consider to be fluff.  Only you would know that.
>
> I probably know that the packages present at the moment of the first
> boot after installation are essential and keep-worthy. Can I do
> something useful having this knowledge now?

I don't agree. E.g. by default the Debian Installer will install Gnome.
Does that mean Gnome is keep-worthy, even if I'm using LXDE? And even if
I do select LXDE instead during the install, there are some components I
might not need (e.g. I'm currently using xfce4-terminal instead of
lxterminal).

This is not even considering alternative methods of installation like
debootstrap. For certain installations I find even the default
debootstrap installation to be "bloated" and start with
'--variant=minbase' instead (only 'Priority: required' and apt).
Apparently 'mmdebstrap' can make even smaller installs.

Then there's also the choice of with or without Recommends, which has
been debated a lot on this list (please search the archives).

> > So, if you want to put the work in to achieve this goal, you can come
> > up with a set of packages that *you* consider important enough to keep,
> > and then simply purge everything else.
>
> So there is no software product which would suggest to me packages for
> purging? Maybe even interactively?
>
> "Package XXX was installed YYY days after the system installation, would
> you like to purge it and its dependencies? (y/n)"

If packages were installed due to Depends (or Recommends if enabled) apt
will suggest removing those that are not needed anymore, while obeying
AutoRemove::RecommendsImportant and AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant (both
enabled by default).

If you have popularity-contest installed (and enabled?) there is
popcon-largest-unused. I seem to recall it uses atime, so it might not
work if you mount your system partition(s) noatime.

Other cleaning options:

    aptitude purge '?config-files'
    aptitude purge '?garbage'
    aptitude purge '?obsolete'

See the aptitude manual for the meaning of these (and many other
interesting) search patterns.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/aptitude/ch02s04s05.en.html

Advanced queries of the dpkg database (locally installed packages) can
be done with dpkg-query.

Hope this helps,
Andrei