On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 09:34:51PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> > > Out of itself, this file will not allow me anything. But Charles Curley
> > > has named the debfoster utility which seems to do the closest thing to
> > > what I wanted to achieve.
> >
> > What?!
> >
> > It does PRECISELY WHAT YOU STATED you wanted to do!
>
> Well, I wanted a degree of automation, not just a
> "dpkg --get-selections | diff /root/initial-packages -" for visual
> analysis and manual removal.

The reverse of dpkg --get-selections is dpkg --set-selections, which
you run using the saved file as input instead of output.  Then you
follow this with something like "apt-get dselect-upgrade" to install
the packages necessary to make the new system match the old system.

Now, I've never used this to *remove* packages -- only to install
new packages after a (re)install.  I'm not sure how it handles removal
of packages.  Maybe there's an additional step required.  Or maybe it
just works as is.

The fact that you just ASSUMED that it would require "manual removal"
instead of thinking, "Hey, what is this --get-selections thing, maybe
I should read some documentation about it, or ask more questions
about it", is part of the problem here.