On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:35:44 -0500
Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeova...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Deities defend us.
> My problem is the complete absence of thought shown by that list
> "server notebook workstation".
> I want to ask him: What is a use-case?
>
> Also to point out that containers too have different use-cases, and he
> seems to have done a mash-up again. You point-out one such case. I
> see at least three: what you might call cloud-temp,
> on-prem-in-broadest-terms, and human-at-workstation.

I have NM installed on my netbook and would have it on my Laptop if it
ran Linux. I wouldn't allow it anywhere near my workstation or server,
where it would have no function. And my workstation doesn't have a
static address, it has a DHCP reservation, like most other network
devices here. Only my netbook uses wireless and VPN, where I find NM
(now) Just Working (tm). Agreed, it wasn't always so.

On the subject of VPN, I'm having terrible trouble with the official
OpenVPN client for mobiles, it works on my Android phone but not my
wife's Android phone or our iPad. Possibly something to do with the
client on the latter two not having any manual configuration mode. NM
on the netbook is far easier to configure, which I believe Google and
Apple see as a drawback. It appears that nobody configures VPNs any
more, people just take a subscription with a commercial one and are sent
fully debugged configuration files.

--
Joe