Hi,

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Of course, if the time between the moment the malware takes
> control and the moment when you notice it is longer than your rotation
> you might be in trouble, indeed (tho that depends on the details of how
> the malware operates w.r.t removable media).

With Write-Once media it is natural to keep them indefinitely. So there
is no destruction by rotation.

I doubt that it is easy to develop custom firmware and an installer for
the victim's BD drive. Only then it would be possible to let the drive
destroy data on a BD-R medium. (I am not sure whether the BD-R dyes and
M-Disc minerals stay fully receptive to the laser beam. But i assume that
drive firmware could let it burn bright enough to damage the contrast
between land and pit.)

> Then again, this implies that all the work you've done between those two
> moments would likely have been lost just as well if you backed up to
> a BD-R.

Yes. The non-repairable damage depends on the time between the first
hostage taking of data and the detection of the attack by the victim.
Restored data from the backups need to be tested for integrity before they
can be used. So the pain stays substantial.

Nevertheless it is better to have old restore candidates rather than to see
original and backups being victim of the same malware.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas