On 11/30/21 6:24 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Paul M. Foster wrote:
Folks:

Here's a curious thing. I have a 10th gen Intel i3 CPU with four cores. When
I look at /proc/cpuinfo, it actually shows eight cores. There's a line in
the output of each core which is

cpu cores       : 4

But there are outputs for each of eight cores, numbered 0 through 7.

Is it possible that there were eight cores on this CPU, and four of them
were non-working (I know it's typical to have non-working cores on a die),
and this file shows all the original cores?

Or does someone have a better explanation?

Try lscpu. Useful lines:

CPU(s):                          12
On-line CPU(s) list:             0-11
Thread(s) per core:              2
Core(s) per socket:              6
Socket(s):                       1

So this machine has one socket, 6 cores in the socket, 2 threads
per core, which looks like 12 CPUs.

You should find that your has one socket, 4 cores in the socket,
2 threads per core, which looks like 8 CPUs.

-dsr-

It appears you are correct. lscpu shows this CPU has 4 cores, and 2 threads per core. But it shows 8 CPUs. Silly.

Paul