Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 01:19:58PM +0000, Richmond wrote:
>> Why do I see this?
>>
>> host cooperative.co.uk
>> cooperative.co.uk has address 127.0.0.1
>
> Because whoever set up that DNS zone made an error.
>
> unicorn:~$ host cooperative.co.uk
> cooperative.co.uk has address 127.0.0.1

Thanks for your reply and others.

It doesn't seem like an appropriate use of the address to me, and I
stared in disbelief when I saw it, thinking something had gone wrong.

Even, for example, example.com has its own ip address. Or perhaps they
should have returned an error like an.invalid. I guess they want to
discourage its use but also prevent anyone grabbing it.