On Mon, May 02, 2022 at 07:58:12PM +0200, Michael Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2 May 2022 10:17:06 -0500
> Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm using Debian 10.7 with MATE DE [will be updated later this week]
> > The machine is a Lenovo T510 and is setup to login as either "richard"
> > or "root".
> >
> > If logged in as "richard" I can execute su {+ password} and receive a
> > prompt indicating I'm "root".
> >
> > However if I then enter "update-grub", the response is
> >    "bash: update-grub: command not found"
> > as if I were the unprivileged user "richard".
>
> you need to do
>
>  # su -
>
> (instead of just
>
>  # su
> ),
> otherwise $PATH will be inherited from user "richard" and thus lack the
> entry "/sbin".

Or just get used to say "/sbin/update-grub" ;-)

(No, I'm not really being serious here. But half-acquiring this
habit would have helped you to unravel the problem like in "Ah,
I have the permissions but not the $PATH..."

It's no different from the TVs of yore: is it the driver stage
to the high voltage, or did just the capacitor short? What can
I do to tell apart those two?

Cheers