Tom Browder wrote:
> I'm considering HaProxy downsteam from the router.
>
> That also brings the question, why do you need a static IPv4 address?

If you want a service inside your network to be available to
people outside your network (i.e. on the Internet), they need to
be able to name it and get packets to it.

The name is registered in the DNS (domain name service) and
handled by DNS servers, either other people's for a fee or
your own.

If you have a static IPv4 address, you can assign many names to
it via DNS CNAME records.

If you have a static IPv6 address, you can assign many names to
it via DNS, but only about half the people in the world will be
able to get to it.

If you don't have a static IPv4 address, but you can accept a
few minutes of unreachability from time to time, you can use a
dynamic DNS service and a daemon running on one of your machines
that will contact it periodically to let the service know what's
changed.

-dsr-