Greetings all;

I appear as user 1000 seem to be stuck behind some sort of a permissions wall.

I can't modify screen colors in any terminal or in mc, and mc's colors are all
so alike I can
only read a directory list which is in a different color, if I want to read a
file, I have to use nano.

I've installed cups which wasn't before along with the brother drivers for my
two printers,
but they aren't configured, so I installed apache2 to use localhost:631 to set
them up, firefox won't
run as root and cups is denying me permissions to do anything to the displayed
printers its finding,
without asking me for a pw.

So obviously, something is wrong. I am a member of the sudo group and the lp
group.

Do I have to do a 32nd install so it all hopefully gets fixed so I can actually
do something?

hanks for any ideas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)