On Sun 14 May 2023 at 09:08:00 (+0200), Hans wrote:

> As we are only one month away from releasing the actual testing (which is in
> freeze state) to stable, I could upgrade now, if I want to. I tried a
> dry-run,
> and saw i.e. digikam to get being uninstalled and some others.
>
> Also it tries to uninstall my NVidia package, which is worse, as it is
> running
> and I have to avoid this, because it will break my system. As it is a
> notebook
> I cannot change the graphics card. And no, nouveau is NOT an option!
>
> Worse: I never will get it back, as once deinstalled, I will no more be able
> to build it again, as also the needed compiler and header files are gone in
> testing. Yeah, hard luck, ey?

That worry seems all the more reason to set up a second root partition
on which to install the new release and check that all your required
features are still present. Particularly true for a laptop, where you
can't just throw in another disk.

> As I said, no mourning, just telling, why I believe, deleting packages from
> the repo is not the best idea. However, this is only my personally view and
> maybe I am the only person in the world, who might be affected.

They don't delete packages from the repository. So you can continue
to run bullseye on one partition as long as you like, until you're
completely happy with your alternative.

Cheers,
David.