On 17/5/23 15:36, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
Not many. An "apt-file search /usr/local" turns up exactly three packages.
And I'd venture the guess that those three are doing this by mistake.

I did a very brief search and many well known packages default to /usr/local.
It's just the packagers at Debian who change this to /etc

Defaulting to /usr/local include:

nginx http://nginx.org/en/docs/configure.html
kamailio https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/blob/master/INSTALL
postfix https://www.postfix.org/INSTALL.html
dovecot
https://doc.dovecot.org/installation_guide/dovecot_community_repositories/compiling_source/

I'm pretty confident most well known packages don't use /etc and instead use
the /usr/local tree.

This may not be an issue for entry level Debian users, but anyone who does
anything serious will want to compile from package source.

Back on topic. Backing up /usr/local should be SOP irrespective of distribution
and level of user competence.

--
Jeremy
(Lists)