I'm running Debian/Bookworm on an ASUS FA506IC laptop. It's got an AMD Ryzen processor but an NVidia graphics card that provides me with great evidence for why I had previously avoided NVidia cards. I'm running Bookworm because I couldn't get it work on Bullseye.

It'd been running OK with the proprietary drivers (but not the Nouveau) until earlier today. I don't use it very often so it was probably a few weeks since I last updated it. I had trouble the previous time I'd updated it too, but that was the move to the non-free-firmware section that messed it up. Once I added the new section to the sources, things worked again.

The symptoms I'm getting are the same as what it used to display when I tried to use sddm to start the desktop. Gdm3 and lightdm both worked in the past but now I'm getting the same symptom with all of them - a blank screen with a cursor flashing in the top-left corner. At that point I can't even bring up a text console, but I can reboot (ctrl-alt-del still works).

I can boot to a recovery mode and start the network, but not sure how to track this down. Removing and reinstalling the NVidia driver didn't help. Trying to start the desktop without the NVidia driver (and firmware) installed also didn't work. I still get the system booting to a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top let corner.

Any ideas?

Thanks.