On Mon, 22 May 2023, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 3:41?AM Tim Woodall <debianu...@woodall.me.uk>
wrote:

On Sun, 21 May 2023, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:

The only address that should have a netmask of 255.255.255.255 is the
Loopback interface.

I don't much use ipv4 any more if I can avoid it but isn't it normal for
point-to-point links to have a netmask of 255.255.255.255?

Point-to-point links should have  a mask of 255.255.255.252. This provides
a Network, Broadcast and two host addresses.

Why? I'm not saying you cannot do this but I don't see what possible
advantage it offers.

The two cases I see are that you want the individual clients connecting
via p-t-p links to be able to talk in which case you probably want
something bigger than a /30 or you don't in which case a /32 is all you
need.