Josip Rodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 11:02:09AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote: [...]
> > I assumed that soc-ctte would intervene somehow on any issue referred
> > to them, even if it is just to say "let the existing processes stand".
> > If it ends up at soc-ctte, there is a problem to resolve.
[...]
> > What should be soc-ctte's default position?  To do nothing, or to
> > announce their (maybe-weak) support for the existing situation?
[...]
> This is getting needlessly intricate - most people won't care for the
> difference between doing nothing and formally deciding to do nothing :)

Please don't be daft.  That's not my suggestion: it's the difference
between doing nothing and doing something to support the existing
situation.  Also, I think soc-ctte should do, not formally decide.

There are lots of project practices, both formal and informal, and
written and customary, which will pre-date soc-ctte and I expect some
of them will be challenged by referring to soc-ctte.  Some of those
will split soc-ctte, if it represents the project at all well, so I
think we need to try to be clear about what we want from soc-ctte in
those cases.

Personally, I expect soc-ctte to do something to support the existing
situation when they think it's fair overall.  We've seen situations
where doing nothing has allowed complaints to fester.

> But, we've strayed from the topic of debian-vote, let's move this back to
> debian-project...

I prefer to keep this topic on a development list, rather than hidden
on a miscellaneous one.  It's developers who may vote on it.

Regards,