Noah Meyerhans <no...@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 05:04:55PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > I believe that part of the problem is that we are not all here to
> > create "a free operating system". I have the impression that some
> > developers merely wish to create "an operating system", or perhaps
> > a "'free-enough-for-me' operating system".
>
> OTOH, it seems to me that there are people with varying degrees of
> pragmatism.

That implies a (lamentably common) false dichotomy. Free software
goals *are* pragmatic goals. They directly affect how we interact with
the digital information that infuses our lives; essential freedom in
that sphere is a highly pragmatic goal.

There may be reasons that compel us to reduce our freedom, and they
may also be described as “pragmatic”. But it's wrong to imply that
those who strive for freedom don't do so for very pragmatic reasons.

--
 \        “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used |
  `\                           when we created them.” —Albert Einstein |