On 25/03/2017 13:04, martin f krafft wrote:
>   - What does universality mean to you and the project?

To me, in short, it means that we are able to address a wide range
of different needs in a single homogeneous system. Debian has been
successful as a general and stable platform where others can build
on top of it to produce a more specialized product. The universality
of Debian on the technical side has some consequences on how its
community works and how it is built. Those different implemented needs
were brought by people with different perspectives. Despite their
differences, they were able to collaborate and work together in order
to build a rich and unique operating system. I believe this aspect
helped us to build a strong and diverse community over the years.

But sometimes, some specific areas of Debian need special care. And
due to the nature of our project, we are often unable to mobilize
needed resources to make necessary changes.

Universality may also bring some complexity. This leads us to situations
where we can be stuck and are unable to embrace the change because it
breaks old solutions (still useful to many). We eventually take the
good decisions, but it takes a long time.

At the same time, many contribute to Debian because it is fun. So if
we are not careful, we may lose long-time contributors only because
some change wasn't well understood (or well-explained, depending on
which side you stand).

Finally... while Debian contributors did a great job by integrating
thousands of projects in one archive, I still think more efforts should
be spent on making Debian easier to install, documentation easier to
find, etc... I believe those points can help us to reach a higher level
of universality.

--
Mehdi