On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 06:42:36PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> However, I wonder why you picked this ("maintained on salsa + upload
> rights for all DD") as the first step towards increasing uniformity
> (thus I assume that you see this as the most important thing to fix).
>
> In practice, we already have a version control system with full access
> to all DDs: the Debian archive (and snapshot.d.o for history).

I picked those because I indeed think that, as a VCS---which is a tool
meant to ease collaborative development above all---the Debian archive
is pretty terrible. The archive is good at releasing and distributing
packages to our users, and is optimized for that.

(I'm not entering into more details than this to leave the discussion of
your questions to DPL candidates. But if you really are unconvinced that
the Debian archive is a bad VCS, I challenge you to find a J. Random
Developer that will prefer to develop day-by-day using
Debian-archive-style workflows over Git-style workflows.)

Cheers
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . z...@upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o